Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What I believe...

As a citizen of Webster Parish and the mother of two children in our public school system, I trusted in our Webster Parish School Board. Without question, I knew they would look at the facts about the ongoing financial situation and make sound, rational decisions concerning budget cuts and school consolidations. So I waited patiently for our School Board to find a way to keep our budget in the green.

I see now that I made a mistake.

If the issue of consolidation is truly based on preventing a $5 million per year budget deficit, then our school board has the responsibility to look at the numbers, conduct studies on the economic and social impacts of their decisions, and vote accordingly. Instead, the vote was hurried and now will be presented to our district judge as if it were a well thought out, and researched plan.

I truly feel that our School Board did not act in the best interest of the children of Webster Parish. And my opinion is not in the minority. I want to challenge those that feel the same way to sign an online petition at www.ipetitions.com/petition/recallwebster/ If our voices are united, they will be heard. We have the right to demand to see a written plan from our School Board—one that includes financial estimations and assessments of the economic and social impacts of consolidation upon our communities.


Sincerely,


Jacquelyn Tripp Lewis

(Sarepta High School Graduate,
and resident of Minden)

1 comment: